Last year at this time we came together to celebrate the Rainbow of Diversity and raise money for the Central London Branch of the Samaritans. This year circumstances prevent us from coming together to celebrate. So, to show that we stand hand in hand for equality even whilst apart, DDCAP has made a donation again this year to the Central London Branch of the Samaritans (https://www.samaritans.org/branches/central-london/).
Samaritans is a charity dedicated to reducing feelings of isolation and disconnection that can lead to suicide. The Samaritans have continued their work through the current crisis, as their support of those feeling isolated and disconnected has become even more relevant at the present time. Samaritans volunteers are there 24/7, 365 days/year to make sure there’s always someone there for anyone who needs someone.
Each year approximately 500 volunteers in the Central London Branch:
- donate over 95,000 hours to run Samaritans (that’s equivalent to over 11 years!);
- respond to almost 90,000 calls for help via phone, SMS and email;
- support over 4,000 contacts face to face;
- help over 2,000 of London’s most vulnerable people including the homeless, the LGBT+ community, those bereaved by suicide & people in custody; and
- raise awareness with over 200,000 young people through its schools and university outreach.
We look forward to being together again when circumstances allow.